Pumpkins with a Nautical Twist

Wednesday, September 9, 2015



Fabric Poof Pumpkins are certainly not new to Blogland or Pinterest.

But I did add my very own twist to few I created this week, ...a nautical, coastal one!

We rent out our lake home, which is only an hour from the coast,
as a vacation rental during the peak summer weeks.
We were very fortunate to have rentals through the end of October this year.

 I thought it would be nice to bring in just a little bit of simple, coastal inspired fall
to welcome our September and October guests!





Determined to make these pumpkins out of what I had on hand,
I scoured my stash for three coordinating fabrics...
the aqua "coral" printed one,
the aqua and white striped (reminds me of a beachy awning),
and the gray and white damask, which just happened to match.

Using plates graduating in size, three circles were cut, one from each fabric piece.





Made a running stitch to gather the fabric,
then stuffed the forms with batting.




And a very important tidbit to pass on...
The fabrics were all of drapery grade.
When I gathered the first one with regular thread, it quickly broke under the tension.

I repeated this step with stronger quilting thread, and it worked like a charm!





Added "stems," from an old broken branch from the yard.




Embellished the pumpkins with little sea shells
 and gray and white baker's twine.




Completed, the nautical themed pumpkins were grouped in a fish platter,
along with crinkled paper gift filler.



















It's been a dreary week, here in the Carolinas!
I can't complain, though, we sure needed the rain.
But the lighting hasn't been conducive for taking pictures in my home.
 I look forward to sharing more "fall"  ...as soon as the weather cooperates!

In the meantime, I'll continue to surf around and enjoy all that ya'll have posted!  :)
~Rhonda

___________________________________

Sharing Post At:
Common Ground - Share Your Style
The Dedicated House - Before and After Wednesday
From My Front Porch To Yours - Treasure Hunt Thursday
Rattlebridge Farm - Foodie Friday & Everything Else
The Charm of Home - Home Sweet Home
Play.Party.Pin - Weekend Retreat Linky Party
Ms. Toody Goo Shoes - Best of the Weekend
Our Southern Home - Inspiration Monday
Nifty Thrifty Things - Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Dwellings - Amaze Me Monday
Between Naps on the Porch - Met Monday
Coastal Charm - Show and Share
Our Home Away From Home - Tuesdays at Our Home

8 comments:

  1. Those are just so cute! You did an excellent job. I love that you displayed them in the fish platter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda, wow, they are just delightful. So sweet....I never thought of this idea.

    Love how you have them displayed, too.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are very creative, Rhonda. I love your cute projects. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute, and even better you used fabric already in your stash! I loving all the blue pumpkins I'm seeing this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness your fabric pumpkins are just gorgeous - very classy pumpkins I must say!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute Rhonda! love the shell necklaces and their fish nest!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are too adorable! I love the colors!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

~Thanks for stopping in, and for letting me know you were here! I enjoy your comments! :) ~

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS