Thriftin' is a Hoot!

Sunday, September 30, 2012

With Owls being the "in" thing this year,
I've been in search of one while on my thriftin' excursions.

Way back when, I had a history teacher who collected owls,...
WHOOOO knew they'd ever be popular again!?!



What a hoot...
I found one at a local thrift shop, $1.99.



Great price, cute piece,
but personally, I thought he needed a little makeover to "update" him,
...give a new Autumn look!



I mixed together orange craft paint and just a smidge of Annie Sloan Old White.

I figured the AS would help the paint adhere to the owl,
but what I didn't figure, was that he would come out peachy pink.

Bless his heart, that just wouldn't do...



So, I added a coat of straight orange...



And he turned out to be quite a handsome fellow,
perfect for the season.

After I take down my Fall decorations, I plan to give him a coat of AS Old White,
...he'll be ready for Spring!

And that, my friends, is why I find that Thriftin' is a Hoot!
Besides the thrill of the hunt, 
 you can experiment and makeover things that didn't cost a lot.
If they don't turn out well, not much is lost!
But if they do, it's like Christmas, ...pretty exciting! :)






My other finds for the week,
came from the yard sales Saturday...












I'm tempted to keep the Vintage Cosco Stool, 
but I think all of these finds will probably be going to my booths!



Hope you all had a productive thriftin' weekend! :)

___________________________

Linking Post To:

Thrifty Treasures   {The Farewell of the Year Edition} @ Southern Hospitality
Mop It Up Monday @ I should be mopping the Floor
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Gettin' Krafty With It @ Krafty Kat
Share Your Creations @ Kristen's Creations
Vintage Inspiration @ Common Ground


____________________________

Verse of Encouragement:

 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9 NIV



16 comments:

  1. Great finds! I am wanting one of those stools. Yes, the owl is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your owl, the bright orange looks perfect in your fall vignette!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! You found my mom's old stool! I don't know how many toddlers she used to sit on it during dinner. It wore out by the time Kaje' came along though (she was the even #30 and the final grandchild). Love the owl too, but again my favorite color is orangey-peach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda, your owl really is a hoot! Lol! He looks perfect in your vignette. Love your thrift finds, as well. That soup tureen looks like the same one I found last week! It's really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's a real hoot!! I love owls - as you can see from my post today (Monday)!

    I have a blue Cosco stool - scored it for $1 - right before the estate sale guy threw it in the dumpster!!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. That owl turned out to be quite a handsome fellow, and a great buy! Ok, you know by now that I am a nosy southern girl......what is that piece of furniture you have him sitting on for his pic? It resembles an old ice box, and I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good eye, it is an old icebox! And Thanks, my husband and I picked that piece out together and love it too! :)

      Delete
  7. I adore thrifting....it is so fun. Actually, our garage sales will be in full swing soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the owl!...Yes they have been very popular these last several years....I have a tree dedicated to them at Christmas!...
    Great finds..I wish I had room for a stool like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That owl is too cute! Love the pop of orange among your vignette.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i used to have a red stool like that one, now I wonder what happened to it????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the owl! You're right he will be perfect painted for Spring! You found some great treasures! Love the stool; I remember them well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see some of the old ugly owls I used to have in Thrift Stores...never thought of painting them. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wish I were closer... I'd love to go thrifting with you. Love the orange owl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mom had a pair of owls like that. Also the step stool. Awesome finds and the owl looks cute orange! So fresh! Thanks for sharing at Gettin' Krafty last week! Hope you'll join us this week!

    ReplyDelete

~Thanks for stopping in, and for letting me know you were here! I enjoy your comments! :) ~

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS