Modern Meets Vintage Home Office Shelfie

Tuesday, June 14, 2016



Last week, I received an invitation from Laurel & Wolf...
An online interior design firm, 
their designers were challenged to style a shelf,
transforming a basic bookcase into a statement piece.

You can see the pretty inspirational designer "shelfies" here
(don't you just love the wordplay on the ever-so-popular "selfies")!

I was extended a challenge to play along and create a "shelfie,"
...sure, I'm game!

Below, is the "formula" of sorts Laurel & Wolf provided,
helpful direction on styling a shelfie.



So, let's get started...

STEP 1 - TAKE INVENTORY

After picking a theme... vintage collector {slash} blogger's home office,
I surveyed what I had on hand that I thought would would create an interesting,
fun, yet functional, shelfie...




Let's break this down shall we...

STEP 2 - CREATE A COLOR PALETTE 

I chose to focus on green, pinks, white, and a mix of metals.

{Click here for the tutorial post for creating the thrifty vase of succulents.}






STEP 3 - BEGIN WITH BOOKS 

I gathered a couple of old hardbacks from two of my favorites,
 Robert Frost and Mark Twain.

Books are a sure easy, and often inexpensive, way
 to add interest, different textures, and height if needed, to a display.






STEP 4 - ADD IN ART

For artwork, 
I selected two illustrations from
 The 2015 Lilly Pulitzer 5x5 Coffee Table Book,
matted and framed in white.
Both picked up the three focal colors of my shelfie design.




STEP 5 - STEP UP THE PERSONALITY

As a junker at heart, I love the eclectic mix of unique vintage pieces
with a splash or two of trendy, modern items thrown in.

The modern element for the shelfie
was the silver metal sphere on the top shelf.

My first thought, after determining my theme,
was to incorporate an old Tom Thumb Typewriter into the display,
along with other vintage office-type pieces I'd collected over time.
Unexpected and unusual they certainly add personality, right?





I aspire to always add a touch of whimsy to some degree,
to even my most mature vignettes,
 such as the cow cup, personally monogrammed and used as a pen holder.




I've found, that by displaying items from one's collections,
you get pleasure from sharing with others,
as well as, enjoying them yourself.









STEP 6 -  TAKE A STEP BACK
 ...Stand back and evaluate!

For several days I did just that...
stepped back,
evaluating and tweaking the shelfie.

I've come to the conclusion,
that each little grouping, each little corner section, is a mini vignette,
combined to create a larger cohesive unit that flows and paints a lovely picture,
 so to speak!










If you're in need of a little guidance
 in creating a look you'll love with your bookcase,
I encourage you to follow the guide shared by Laurel & Wolf.

The helpful hints are sure to alleviate some of the stress
 in over-thinking the creation of your own shelfie project.

You'll have a most fabulous shelfie, darlin'!  :)



And as an added bonus...
I'm offering a cute cow cup to one of my lucky readers,
like the one I have pictured!

The cup was personalized with a custom gold vinyl decal by
The Southern Brunette.

Just leave a comment,
and I'll choose a random winner by drawing next Wednesday.
The cup will be personalized with the recipients' initial of their choosing.
It's just too cute not to share with ya'll!





"Happy shelfie stylin'!"



___________________

Sharing Post At:
Simple Nature Decor - Dream.Create.Inspire Link
DIY By Design - Sizzle Into Summer
Life On Merlin - The Alder Collective
The Essence of Home - Share Your Style
Katherine's Corner - Thursday Favorite Things
The Dedicated House - Before and After Wednesday
McCall Manor - Your Inspired Design
Eleven Magnolia Lane - June Pretty Project
Poofing The Pillow - Thoughts of Home on Thursday
My Thrift Store Addiction - Vintage Charm Party
Rattlebridge Farm - Foodie Friday & Everything Else
The Charm of Home - Home Sweet Home
Ms. Toody Goo Shoes - Best of the Weekend
Between Naps on The Porch - Met Monday
Coastal Charm - Show & Share
Julie's Lifestyle - Cooking and Crafting with J&J
Cozy Little House - Tweak It Tuesday
StoneGable - The Scoop
Our Home Away From Home - Tuesdays at Our Home
Savvy Southern Style - WOW Us Wednesday
Sadie Seasongoods - Talk of The Town

26 comments:

  1. I think your shelves look amazing! You did an awesome job keeping it cohesive and interesting. I love the adorable whimsical touches you added too. That monogrammed cow cup is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you've got the touch! I like all the white pieces and the little bit of glam you've got going on. Of course, the cow is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Rhonda, these all great tips for decorating shelves and I love that really cute name for it shelfie! LOL!! I really like how nice you decorated you shelves with a mixture of different things and the color scheme. That initial cow is just the cutest!! :)
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you did with your shelves, love the vintage items plus white. My fave is the picture. I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhonda, a beautiful and stylish shelfie...love the challenge of a bookcase! Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shelfie is so fun and interesting Rhonda, I love all the wonderful things you've put together to get your style on! You have inspired me to do some shelfies of my own, thank you! Love the cow cup, too hilarious!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you styled it beautifully! Love the texture and bright pops of color you used. And it's functional, that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the same Tom Thumb typewriter. I remember receiving it for Christmas and spent lots of time typing stories and playing office. You have inspired me to pull it out of storage and use it as decor in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your shelfie styling is perfect with so many interesting and beautiful things! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy TOHOT. So glad you are here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Saw your post at Your Inspired Design- your shelves are wonderfully done. Want to come do mine? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Flat surfaces, like shelves, seem to be theee most fun to play with in a room and decorate. What a way to add personality that reflects YOU in a room and makes you smile when you enter!!! Yours are truly an inspiration. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rhonda- you have serious skills. Styling a shelf is harder than it looks. I like the formula-
    It is always fun visiting here-
    Thank you for joining TOHOT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rhonda! Wonderful post! Your self looks amazing and that type writer is precious! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rhonda,I adore each and every element you added to your shelfie! Thank you for sharing @Vintage Charm--pinning to our Features & Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rhonda,
    I adore your shelfie, dear one!
    The vintage items are truly, amazing within the vignettes!
    Fondly,
    Pat
    Visiting from Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you did a great job, this is a really good formula. I had to Pin it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how you pulled it all together. It flows so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your did a wonderful job styling your bookshelf. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so like you in my love for both vintage and modern. I thought I was the only one, ha! I'd love to be entered in the drawing. I actually just saw this cup at Target today and fell in love! Also, good news- I'll be featuring this post on Thursday morning at the next Vintage Charm Party! Hope to see you there! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  21. MOO - what a cute cow cup! Love styling bookcases. Will be sure to try some of these tips. Thanks forsharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow...I LOVE this! So neat!

    I would love for you to share this with my AMAZING Facebook Group with over 300 Members to share easy craft projects and recipes: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is awesome! Love the play on the word Selfie as well as the styling! I will feature tomorrow at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really great tips and your shelves look so pretty! Thanks for sharing :) XO, Amy
    PS I love that cow cup!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You did an amazing job with your shelfie Rhonda! I would love it if you would share your post at Vintage Bliss Tuesdays! Here is the latest "party" - http://www.womaninreallife.com/2016/06/colourful-thrifted-drinking-glasses.html

    Thanks, Joann

    ReplyDelete

~Thanks for stopping in, and for letting me know you were here! I enjoy your comments! :) ~

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS