Whimsical Fall Displays -- Jubilee Conference, Gatlinburg, TN

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Kevin and I, accompanied by his mom and step-dad, took a short trip to Gatlinburg, TN, last week.
We joined a group of Senior Adults from our church, for the Jubilee Conference.

And in case your wondering, I'm not quite that old yet, but am on the Senior Adult Team, that plans events and activities. Great group to work with! :)


We were greeted and welcomed to Tennessee by the quirky "Tube Dude," above!


This is our second year attending Jubilee, and as before, it was wonderful!!!

We were blessed to hear preaching, live, by Dr. Charles Stanley...



And Dr. Johnny Hunt!

Johnny Hunt just happened to grow up in Wilmington, NC, and my mother-in-law knew him as a little boy.
-- Always love to hear him speak!


And we heard great Southern Gospel music,
...from The Gaither Vocal Band!

This was my first time seeing them in person!
They were beyond awesome!

And David Phelps, of the Gaither Vocal Band....
THE most gifted and talented vocalist!!!

The McKammeys...

Always good to hear them....

And Kevin's favorite Southern Gospel Group...
The Booth Brothers.

Pat Boone, Allison Durham Speer, and Ben Speer, and comedian Aaron Wilburn, were also highlighted at the conference.
Aaron Wilburn was h.i.l.a.r.i.o.u.s!!!

The leaves were not quite turning, but we enjoyed the bounty of still beautiful, blooming flowers downtown.





On the second day, we had several free hours.
My mother-in-law and I decided to take advantage of beautiful downtown Gatlinburg,
enjoying the whimsical fall displays and doing a little shopping!

My MIL, Frances, below...

A cyclist enjoying the nice weather as well...

The fall displays were so cute and whimsical throughout the town.
providing lots of inspiration....

"Rake Faces" - Who would have thought?












Display outside of a soap shop --- scarecrow sitting in a tub of "bubbles."







And no, I have no idea who these people are posing,
just trying to get a shot of the courtyard display...

















On the way home, Friday, we stopped at an apple orchard/pumpkin farm near Asheville.
I picked up several pumpkins, decorative gourds, and ears of Indian Corn to make an arrangement for the kitchen table!



The table runner was a square of fall leaf cut-outs, found at Mr. Tablecloth, downtown Gatlinburg.


"People with 'glass pumpkins' shouldn't throw gourds."
-anonymous

Thought this silly little quote, quite befitting of this post! :)

7 comments:

  1. This is an adorable little town and I adore those rake faces! Never seen one before.

    We had our general conference this weekend also for our church and I know it always gives me such a spiritual boost, like I'm sure your's does for you. I found all the singers very interesting and will have to look them up to hear their music. I love inspiring music no matter what the denomination.

    Hope you're having a great fall day. We're in for a cold snap the rest of the week so the leaves should be turning quickly soon. I love fall, it's my favorite time of year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda! Oh, what a wonderful town Gatlinburg is! I've never been but it's gorgeous in the fall!
    Oh, I enjoy hearing Charles Stanley so much. He preaches in such an understanding way! The Gaither Focal Band! I love them too! We did get to go to on of their Gaither Homecoming shows in Houston - loved it! I know you had a great time with the oldies! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh HOW FuN!!! I so enjoyed looking at the fall decor and scarecrows from your trip!! i would LOVE to walk around down there and check them all out!! Thanks for sharing!
    Oh, and thanks so much for coming by my blog! I appreciate your coming by!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a darling town Gatlinburg is. I love it that the stores make such an effort to decorate. The rake faces are so cute. Wow, you got to hear Charles Stanley? What a wonderful opportunity. And the Gaithers too? What a treat! Sounds like the perfect weekend. Now I'd like to visit Gatlinburg. I've never been that far into the south. We lived in Houston years ago, but never got to see east of there (except Disney World, Florida). Enjoy your day. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, what a fun filled trip you had. The pictures of the of Charles Stanley and the Gaither group gave me goose bumps.. Your mother in law looks like a fun filled person.. All of the fun whimsical displays through out town are just darling.. your bounty filled basket is darling... hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got some great ideas from these decorations!

    And I adore Charles Stanley and David Phelps! You lucky girl! What a fun time you must have had. I know it was blessed.

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like y'all had a wonderful time!! Great that you were able to hear Charles Stanley! Wonderful views you were able to see in the mountains. I just love the mountains!

    ReplyDelete

~Thanks for stopping in, and for letting me know you were here! I enjoy your comments! :) ~

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS