RMN 3 - New Life for a Pair of Trusty Old Ottomans

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Isn't it wonderful how a piece of new upholstery fabric can enliven an old piece (or two)!?!

I've had the pair of ottomans, below, for many years.
They were relatively inexpensive, coming from Big Lots, but they are the perfect size and shape for the space they occupy on either side of the sofa.

About three years ago, when the rage was covering nearly EVERYTHING in burlap, 
they received a new covering of such.




They were looking rather tired and worn, so I stripped them of the burlap, down to their original tan suede fabric.




My choice of tools for reupholstering may be a little unconventional.

My dad shared the sentiments of MacGyver, who said, "If I had some duct tape, I could fix that."
My dad thought that one could fix the world with duct tape.

My "duct tape" is my hot glue gun and glue sticks!  
I have been known to make pillows, drapes, pants or skirts hemlines ...you name it, with my glue gun in tow!

{Image borrowed from Yahoo Images}



So, with my old glue gun, a large supply of glue sticks, scissors, and a couple of yards of discounted upholstery fabric (2 yards @ $4.99/yard each), my project ensued.

I cut a round circle, and glued it around the edges to the top of the ottoman.




One long piece was cut, to wrap around the ottoman.  Before gluing it in place, I turned down the top about 1/2" to make a nice straight hem line.

Once the piece was in place, the overage of fabric at the bottom of the ottoman was about 1 1/2" long, and was glued underneath to the base.  A staple gun could have been used to secure the fabric to the wood base, but I was on a roll with the glue gun! :)




The picture below, is a more accurate color of the fabric.




Refreshing My Nest ~ One more project complete ...on the next!

________________________________________

Linking Post To:
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Share Your Creations @ Kristens Creations

9 comments:

  1. Awesome! You're amazing with your trusty glue gun! Maybe you can come and hot glue Kaje's wedding dress for the alterations and save me the $250 bucks it's going to cost me...oh, how I wish I could alter clothing. The hunt was successful but it was quite a day. She's beautiful in the dress and it looks so vintage, but still new. She calls it "new vintage."

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect piece of furniture can be remade and remade as your style changes. Love the new fabric. They look like brand new ottomans. Hope you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great, I love the hot glue idea.I have a few projects that might work on. Thanks for sharing, I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new look! Isn't it nice to be able to reuse what you have instead of running out to buy something new? You are clever to use a glue gun to make this an easy project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An awesome job! Love the fabric you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! Why buy new when you can make them new again with a glue gun and fabric?!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job on the ottomans. Thanks for your comments on my tour of Beaufort. Yes it is a lovely town, I can ride my bike to the historic area which I just love! Hopefully you can visit some day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really pretty!! I am impressed with your glue gun skills, girl! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a new follower in me! I also have a stool very similar to yours that I just picked up for $3 at the Salvation Army. Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete

~Thanks for stopping in, and for letting me know you were here! I enjoy your comments! :) ~

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS